The 2023 Italian Open is nicely underway, and all of the spherical of 128 matches are full.
The highest thirty-two seeds received a bye, so there have been no actual upsets, however we nonetheless witnessed some thrilling matches nonetheless.
Notably, house favorite Fabio Fognini put in a stellar efficiency to defeat Andy Murray in three units. On the identical time, former finalist Stan Wawrinka additionally delivered a strong displaying, cruising previous Ilya Ivashka 6-2 6-4.
Like Madrid final week, getting some matches beneath your belt in new circumstances proved very helpful as eight qualifiers progressed to the second spherical. Roman Safiullin was maybe probably the most spectacular, defeating Marcos Giron 6-4 6-3.
It was additionally an okay opening spherical for the house hopefuls, with 4 Italians making it into the spherical of 64.
You possibly can see the total first-round outcomes beneath.
Spherical of 128 Italian Open 2023 Outcomes
|Matteo Arnaldi (WC)||Diego Schwartzman||6-1 4-6 6-3|
|Alex Molcan||Stefano Napolitano (Q)||6-4 3-6 7-6(1)|
|Daniel Altmaier (Q)||Giulio Zeppieri (WC)||7-6(3) 4-6 6-0|
|Sebastian Baez||Juan Pablo Varillas||7-5 6-3|
|Gregoire Barrere||Brandon Nakashima||6-3 6-3|
|Nuno Borges||Dusan Lajovic||6-4 6-1|
|Alexander Bublik||Pedro Martinez (Q)||6-3 7-6(4)|
|Roberto Carballes Baena||Hugo Dellien (PR)||6-2 6-3|
|Marco Cecchinato||Mackenzie McDonald||6-3 7-5|
|Laslo Djere||Fixed Lestienne||6-1 (RET)|
|Tomas Martin Etcheverry||Luca Van Assche||7-6(7) 6-3|
|Arthur Fils (Q)||Juan Manuel Cerundolo (Q)||6-1 1-6 6-4|
|Fabio Fognini (WC)||Andy Murray||6-4 4-6 6-4|
|Marton Fucsovics||Filip Krajinovic||6-4 6-2|
|Cristian Garin||Pedro Cachin||6-4 3-6 7-6(5)|
|David Goffin||Luca Nardi (WC)||3-6 6-4 6-2|
|Yannick Hanfmann (Q)||Nicolas Jarry||6-4 6-4|
|Thanasi Kokkinakis (Q)||Jaume Munar||4-2 (RET)|
|Jason Kubler||Marc-Andrea Huesler||6-7(6) 6-4 6-2|
|Fabian Marozsan (Q)||Corentin Moutet||6-0 6-7(8) 6-2|
|Thiago Monteiro||Adrian Mannarino||6-1 6-2|
|Alexandre Muller (Q)||Kyle Edmund (PR)||6-1 6-3|
|Guido Pella (PR)||Maxime Cressy||6-3 6-4|
|Alexei Popyrin (Q)||Christopher O’Connell||6-2 7-6(5)|
|Albert Ramos-Vinolas||Francesco Passaro (WC)||4-6 6-1 6-4|
|Arthur Rinderknech||Flavio Cobolli (Q)||6-4 6-3|
|Emil Ruusuvuori||Ugo Humbert||6-4 3-6 7-6(6)|
|Roman Safiullin (Q)||Marcos Giron||6-4 6-3|
|Lorenzo Sonego||Jeremy Chardy (PR)||6-2 6-1|
|Stan Wawrinka||Ilya Ivashka||6-2 6-4|
|J.J. Wolf||Hugo Grenier (LL)||7-5 7-5|
|Yibing Wu||Richard Gasquet||3-6 6-3 6-3|
Fognini Foils Murray
Andy Murray arrived in Rome off the again of successful the Aix en Provence Challenger Title and reaching his highest world rating in 5 years, however he ran straight into Fabio Fognini, who pulled off a 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 victory in entrance of a delighted house crowd.
Fognini has had an injury-riddled season to this point, selecting up simply two match wins. Nonetheless, on his day, he’s nonetheless one of many cleanest ball strikers on tour and has a really fluid recreation, particularly on clay, whereas Murray has to work additional time for all of his factors, proving the distinction.
For positive, I’m comfortable as a result of getting back from harm is rarely straightforward, particularly at our age. However successful right here in Rome in opposition to a very large participant like Andy, I imply, I’m comfortable. Now it’s necessary to get better, and let’s see how I get better I get up tomorrow as a result of it’s going to be tough and a pleasant query to my thoughts if I’ll get better nicely. However I simply need to get pleasure from this night time and go house with this victory. I used to be feeling actually good at the start of the clay in Estoril, I used to be taking part in nice. However I received injured, and I ended like a month, I used to be 10 days with the crutches. These sorts of matches give me quite a lot of feelings and actually good reminiscences. Fognini on his victory over Murray.
Stan Begins Robust in Rome
Stan Wawrinka is a former Rome Masters 1000 finalist, and he made a strong begin on this version, defeating Ilya Ivashka 6-2 6-4 to arrange a showdown with Grigor Dimitrov.
Stan has performed some respectable tennis to this point this 12 months however has simply fallen quick or ended up getting dragged into lengthy matches when he has probabilities to shut them up a lot sooner. No issues right here, although, as he misplaced simply six video games and if the circumstances keep as they’re, he will be harmful.
I used to be prepared for it. I’m taking part in nicely. It was a superb first match and I’m actually comfortable to get by way of once more. I’ve been working onerous to get to this stage. I’m taking part in significantly better this 12 months, however I have to win extra matches. That’s what I’m lacking a bit, the boldness to win extra matches. However typically, the extent is nice. Wawrinka on his 12 months to this point.
Ruusuvuori Rescues Victory
Emil Ruusuvuori escaped the jaws of defeat, saving two match factors in opposition to Ugo Humbert earlier than prevailing 6-4, 3-6, 7-6(6).
The pair met in Madrid final week, with Ruusuvuori additionally coming by way of in two tie-break units, however he needed to dig a lot deeper in Rome, with each match factors being on the Humbert serve at 4-5, 40/30 within the third set, then at 5/6 within the deciding tie-break. His reward is a tie with third seed Daniil Medvedev.
Different Matches of Word
- Sonego Sinks Chardy: The Italian celebrated his twenty eighth birthday with a 6-2 6-1 victory over Jeremy Chardy.
- Borges upsets Lajovic: Lajovic was one of many early entrance runners throughout this clay court docket swing, however he fell to Nuno Borges 6-4 6-1.
- Goffin beats Nardi: An honest win for Goffin in opposition to the Italian wildcard. The previous world quantity 7 has been in need of wins and matches currently.
Spherical of 64 Matches
- Novak Djokovic (1) vs Tomas Martin Etcheverry
- Stan Wawrinka vs Grigor Dimitrov (26)
- Alex de Minaur (17) vs Marton Fucsovics
- Alexandre Muller (Q) vs Cameron Norrie (13)
- Felix Auger-Aliassime (10) v Alexei Popyrin (Q)
- Roman Safiullin (Q) vs Sebastian Korda (22)
- Miomir Kecmanovic (30) vs Fabio Fognini (WC)
- Arthur Fils (Q) vs Holger Rune (7)
- Casper Ruud (4) vs Arthur Rinderknech
- Alexander Bublik vs Ben Shelton (28)
- Botic van de Zandschulp (23) vs Laslo Djere
- Cristian Garin vs Tommy Paul (16)
- Karen Khachanov (11) vs Gregoire Barrere
- Yibing Wu vs Francisco Cerundolo (24)
- Alexander Shevchenko (LL) vs Sebastian Baez
- Thanasi Kokkinakis (Q) vs Jannik Sinner (8)
- Andrey Rublev (6) vs Alex Molcan
- Guido Pella (PR) vs Alejandro Davidovich Fokina (27)
- Roberto Bautista Agut (21) vs Marco Cecchinato
- Yannick Hanfmann (Q) vs Taylor Fritz (9)
- Hubrt Hurkacz (13) vs J.J. Wolf
- David Goffin vs Alexander Zverev (19)
- Bernabe Zapata Miralles (31) vs Jason Kubler
- Emil Ruusuvuori vs Daniil Medvedev (3)
- Stefanos Tsitsipas (5) vs Nuno Borges
- Lorenzo Sonego vs Yoshihito Nishiokia (25)
- Lorenzo Musetti (18) vs Matteo Arnaldi (WC)
- Daniel Altmaier (Q) vs Frances Tiafeo (12)
- Borna Coric (15) vs Thiago Monteiro
- Roberto Carballes Baena vs Daniel Evans (20)
- Jiri Lehecka (32) vs Fabian Marozsan (Q)
- Albert Ramos-Vinolas vs Carlos Alcaraz (1)
Which spherical two matches are you trying ahead to? Any upsets you have got earmarked? Let me know within the feedback.