The ATP Tour’s best head to Paris for the second Grand Slam of the season at Roland Garros, the place the main-draw motion takes place from 28 Could-11 June.
Carlos Alcaraz arrives within the French capital as World No. 1, however Novak Djokovic (chasing a report twenty third main title), Daniil Medvedev or Stefanos Tsitsipas may each usurp the Spaniard by the top of the fortnight.
ATPTour.com seems to be forward at among the key storylines throughout the singles draw and doubles draw on the 2023 version of the clay-court Grand Slam.
1) Djokovic Eyes Report twenty third Grand Slam: Victory at January’s Australian Open drew Djokovic degree with Rafael Nadal on 22 main singles titles and the Serbian has the possibility to set a brand new report in his rival’s absence this fortnight in Paris. Djokovic has not received a title since his Melbourne triumph, however the 36-year-old is a two-time Roland Garros champion and enters this yr’s draw with a 20-4 report for the season.
2) Alcaraz Seeks Second Slam Crown: Alcaraz has barely put a foot incorrect this season. Regardless of a shock third-round defeat in Rome to an impressed Fabian Marozsan, the Spaniard has racked up a 30-3 report and lifted 4 ATP Tour titles. Three of these have come on clay, and the 20-year-old World No. 1 will now intention to switch his red-hot kind onto the floor on the Grand Slam stage.
Alcaraz & Djokovic On Similar Half Of Roland Garros Draw
3) Crimson-Scorching Medvedev To Roll On?: Medvedev accomplished his emergence as a bona fide clay-court menace by lifting his maiden ATP Tour crown on the floor in Rome. The World No. 2 has received a Tour-leading 39 matches and claimed a Tour-leading 5 titles this season and has seemingly by no means been higher positioned to advance previous the Roland Garros quarter-finals for the primary time.
4) 4-Approach Battle For No. 1: Alcaraz, Medvedev, Djokovic and Stefanos Tsitsipas are all eyeing a double reward in Paris. The present No. 1 within the Pepperstone ATP Rankings Alcaraz, No. 2 Medvedev and No. 3 Djokovic can all assure they occupy high spot on 12 June by lifting the Coupe des Mousquetaires.
Tsitsipas must win the title to present himself an opportunity of reaching No. 1 for the primary time, however would even be counting on Alcaraz falling by the third spherical and Medvedev by the quarter-finals.
5) High 10 Threats: Former finalists Casper Ruud (2022) and Tsitsipas (2021) maintain fond recollections of Paris, and each will see Roland Garros as a giant alternative to push for his or her maiden Grand Slam crown. The identical is true of Monte-Carlo champion Andrey Rublev and World No. 9 Taylor Fritz, who has already reached three semi-finals on clay for the yr.
6) Younger Contenders: A shock quarter-finalist as an adolescent a yr in the past, Holger Rune returns to Roland Garros at a career-high No. 6 within the Pepperstone ATP Rankings. The 20-year-old Dane is 13-3 on clay for the season, a tally which features a run to his fourth ATP Tour title in Munich in April.
In 2020, Jannik Sinner additionally reached the final eight on debut at Roland Garros, the place the 21-year-old has reached a minimum of the fourth spherical on all three of his appearances. The Italian is one other constant performer on the ATP Tour in search of his maiden main triumph.
7) French Out In Power: Ugo Humbert leads a number of residence favourites in search of to turn into the primary French males’s singles Roland Garros titlist since Yannick Noah in 1983. Among the many locals becoming a member of the World No. 38 within the draw are Richard Gasquet and former semi-finalist Gael Monfils.
8) #NextGenATP Hopefuls: House gamers additionally spearhead the #NextGenATP cost in Paris. Eighteen-year-old Arthur Fils and 19-year-old Luca Van Assche are fifth and sixth within the Pepperstone ATP Reside Subsequent Gen Race, respectively, and each make their Roland Garros main-draw debuts.
One other high expertise from the 21-and-Below class, Ben Shelton, can also be set for his first look on the clay-court main. The American, who reached the Australian Open quarter-finals in January, had not competed on crimson clay in his life previous to April. He now has two tour-level wins to his identify on the floor.
9) Opening Salvos: The singles draw has thrown up some intriguing first-round encounters. Felix Auger-Aliassime, who pushed Nadal to 5 units in Paris a yr in the past, has received just one match on clay to this point this yr. The Canadian tenth seed meets one other former quarter-finalist, the entertaining Fabio Fognini, first up.
The 14th seed Cameron Norrie will attempt to keep his focus in entrance of a probable partisan crowd when he takes on residence favorite Benoit Paire, whereas massive baseline hitting is assured when Madrid finalist Jan-Lennard Struff faces rising Czech star Jiri Lehecka.
10) Stacked Doubles Draw: Pierre-Hugues Herbert and Nicolas Mahut haven’t performed a tour-level occasion collectively since June final yr, however the two-time Roland Garros champions reunite for his or her residence Slam. Their rivals in Paris embody high seeds Wesley Koolhof and Neal Skupski, who’re chasing their maiden main crown, and defending champions Marcelo Arevalo and Jean-Julien Rojer.