A rain-affected spherical of 64 on the 2023 Italian Open is nearing completion after a number of matches had been delayed till Sunday,
On Friday, Novak Djokovic obtained his marketing campaign underway with a gentle however far-from-perfect efficiency in opposition to Tomas Martin Etcheverry. Third seed Casper Ruud made brief work of Arthur Rinderknech.
There have been additionally spectacular wins for qualifiers Alexei Popyrin and Roman Safiullin, who noticed off tenth seed Felix Auger-Aliassime and twenty second seed Sebastian Korda, respectively. Nevertheless, just one can emerge within the final sixteen as they face off in opposition to one another within the third spherical.
Fabio Fognini additionally backed up his win in opposition to Andy Murray by eradicating the seeded Miomir Kecmanovic 6-3 7-6(6).
On Saturday, the rain wreaked havoc with the schedule, with a number of matches unable to be accomplished and much more postponed till Sunday with out even beginning.
Of these fortunate sufficient to complete their matches, Carlos Alcaraz got here from a breakdown within the first set to dispatch Albert Ramos-Vinolas 6-4 6-1, whereas Andrey Rublev made mild work of Alex Molcan with a 6-3 6-4 win.
On Sunday, Daniil Medvedev gained his first match in Rome 6-4, 6-2 over Emil Ruusuvuori. On the similar time, Stefanos Tsitsipas didn’t take lengthy to complete his match in opposition to Nuno Borges, which he led by a set and a break in a single day.
Qualifier Yannick Hanfmann was answerable for the very best seed to fall within the second spherical, with a powerful 6-4 6-1 over Taylor Fritz.
You’ll be able to see the entire record of second-round outcomes beneath.
Spherical of 64 Italian Open 2023 Outcomes
|Novak Djokovic (1)||Tomas Martin Etcheverry||7-6(5) 6-2|
|Carlos Alcaraz (2)||Albert Ramos-Vinolas||6-4 6-1|
|Daniil Medvedev (3)||Emil Ruusuvuori||6-4 6-2|
|Casper Ruud (4)||Arthur Rinderknech||6-4 6-0|
|Stefanos Tsitsipas (5)||Nuno Borges||6-3 6-3|
|Andrey Rublev (6)||Alex Molcan||6-3 6-4|
|Holger Rune (7)||Arthur Fils (Q)||6-3 6-3|
|Jannik Sinner (8)||Thanasi Kokkinakis (Q)||6-1 6-4|
|Yannick Hanfmann (Q)||Taylor Fritz (9)||6-4 6-1|
|Alexei Popyrin (Q)||Felix Auger-Aliassime (10)||6-4 4-6 7-5|
|Gregoire Barrere||Karen Khachanov (11)||4-6 6-4 7-6(4)|
|Frances Tiafoe (12)||Daniel Altmaier (Q)||3-6 7-5 6-3|
|Cameron Norrie (13)||Alexandre Muller (Q)||6-2 6-3|
|J.J. Wolf||Hubert Hurkacz (14)||6-3 6-4|
|Borna Coric (15)||Thiago Monteiro||4-6 7-6(8) 7-6(5)|
|Cristian Garin||Tommy Paul (16)||4-6 6-3 6-4|
|Marton Fucsovics||Alex de Minaur (17)||6-3 6-4|
|Lorenzo Musetti (18)||Matteo Arnaldi (W)||6-4 6-4|
|Alexander Zverev (19)||David Goffin||5-7 6-3 6-4|
|Roberto Carballes Baena||Daniel Evans (20)||7-6(5) 5-7 6-4|
|Marco Cecchinato||Roberto Bautista Agut (21)||6-2 6-2|
|Roman Safiullin (Q)||Sebastian Korda (22)||6-2 7-6(5)|
|Laslo Djere||Botic van de Zandschulp (23)||6-2 6-4|
|Francisco Cerundolo (24)||Yibing Wu||4-6 6-2 6-3|
|Lorenzo Sonego||Yoshihito Nishioka (25)||7-5 6-3|
|Grigor Dimitrov (26)||Stan Wawrinka||6-4 7-6(3)|
|Alejandro Davidovich Fokina (27)||Guido Pella (PR)||6-0 7-6(4)|
|Alexander Bublik||Ben Shelton (28)||6-4 1-6 6-2|
|Fabio Fognini (WC)||Miomir Kecmanovic (30||6-3 7-6(6)|
|Bernabe Zapata Miralles (31)||Jason Kubler||6-4 6-1|
|Fabian Marozsan (Q)||Jiri Lehecka (32)||4-6 6-1 7-6(4)|
|Alexander Shevchenko (LL)||Sebastian Baez||6-3 6-4|
Djokovic Makes Profitable Return
Novak Djokovic’s Rome marketing campaign is up and working. Whereas it wasn’t classic in opposition to Tomas Martin Etcheverry, the six-time Rome Masters champion performed nicely in patches and prolonged the rallies when wanted en path to a 7-6(5), 6-2 victory.
Djokovic has been scuffling with an elbow downside, and whereas he seems to have shrugged that off, he coping with some illness in the course of the match, hunching over a few occasions and taking some type of medicine at a changeover.
Nonetheless not the specified degree, nonetheless discovering the pictures and discovering that groove on the courtroom. It’s at all times slightly bit tough taking part in somebody for the primary time. He’s a clay-court specialist. He began higher than I did, I began fairly gradual, however I discovered my groove in direction of the tip of the primary. The second set was good, particularly the final three or 4 video games. I’m pleased with the best way I closed out the match. Djokovic on his opening win in Rome.
Popyrin Pops Off Auger-Aliassime
Alexei Popyrin entered Rome as a qualifier, however he’s but to lose to anybody within the high 10 this season, enhancing to 3-0 with a 6-4, 4-6, 7-5 over tenth seed Felix Auger-Aliassime.
The Canadian is to date winless within the two clay courtroom occasions he’s performed, and though he fired 38 winners, it was Popyrin who performed nicely on the enterprise finish with some large hitting of his personal to interrupt within the eleventh recreation of the ultimate set.
Dimitrov Downs Wawrinka
Grigor Dimitrov will face Novak Djokovic within the third spherical due to a 6-4, 7-6(3) over Stan Wawrinka.
It was a stable efficiency from the Bulgarian, who used a come-forward strategy, and he’s now only one behind within the H2H, which stands at 6-7 in favour of Wawrinka.
Whereas Grigor performed nicely, Stan has second-round syndrome, and he can’t appear to win back-to-back matches or play nicely for 2 on the spin. He made far too many smooth errors in opposition to Dimitrov, and I’d hoped to see him put collectively a good run at one of many pre-French Open tournaments.
I’m simply joyful I used to be capable of end in straight units. General, I felt good. It’s been some time since I’ve performed matches like that. Off the blocks to play Stan isn’t simple. We’ve performed so many occasions in opposition to one another; we all know what we’re going to do in a number of moments. I feel immediately was a really small margin. Dimitrov on his win over Wawrinka.
Different Matches Of Be aware
- Sinner Sinks Kokkinakis: A rock-solid efficiency from Sinner as he bypassed Kokinakkis 6-1, 6-4 in 78 minutes. Zero break factors confronted by the Italian.
- Barrere Cracks Khachanov: A shock loss for Karen Khachanov, who has been a constant performer this season, however Barrere performed neatly to win by means of 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (4). Maybe the Russian needs to give attention to doubles? 😁
- Norrie Notches Win: An honest win for Norrie in opposition to Alexander Muller because the Brit has not carried out too nicely on European clay after successful the title in Rio earlier than Indian Wells.
- Ruud Rolls Rinderknech: A 6-4, 6-0 win for the Norwegian who likes the circumstances and has two earlier Rome semi-finals on his resume.
- Rune Flies Previous Fils: A stable maiden win in Rome for Rune as he cruised previous Arthur Fils 6-3, 6-3. He performs Fognini within the third spherical.
- Rublev Rocks Molcan: The Russian used the gradual, damp, heavy circumstances to his favour to return by means of 6-3, 6-4.
- Hanfmann Halts Fritz: A giant win for the German qualifier, who has at all times been able to taking part in some respectable ball on clay.
Italian Open Spherical of 32 Matches
- Novak Djokovic (1) def Grigor Dimitrov (26) 6-3 4-6 6-1
- Marton Fucsovics vs Cameron Norrie (13)
- Alexei Popyrin (Q) def Roman Safiullin (Q) 7-5 7-5
- Holger Rune (7) def. Fabio Fognini (WC) 6-4 6-2
- Casper Ruud (4) vs Alexander Bublik
- Laslo Djere def. Cristian Garin 6-3 2-1 RET
- Francisco Cerundolo (24) def. Gregoire Barrere 6-7(0) 6-2 6-2
- Alexander Shevchenko (LL) vs Jannik Sinner (8)
- Andrey Rublev (6) vs Alejandro Davidovich Fokina (27)
- Marco Cecchinato vs Yannick Hanfmann (Q)
- J.J. Wolf vs Alexander Xverev (19)
- Bernape Zapata Miralles (31) vs Daniil Medvedev (3)
- Stefanos Tsitsipas (4) vs Lorenzo Sonego
- Lorenzo Musetti (18) vs Frances Tiafoe (12)
- Borna Coric (15) vs Roberto Carballes Baena
- Fabian Marosan (Q) vs Carlos Alcaraz (2)
Has anybody stood out for you to date? Let me know within the feedback.